Pages

We Ain't Nothin' But Mammals


Look at this awesome picture I took at the National Zoo! Seriously, it was like the animals were coming out to pose just for us. Sadly a lot of my pictures turned out quite blurry (I blame the oldness of the camera and my inability to keep my hands still), but this one is quite a beauty. I do love the big cats--and this big guy turned his head just at the right moment for me to capture his gorgeous face. I know if I got close he'd want to rip me limb from limb, but he looks so nice and snuggly from a distance.

SCL and I were running low on the "fun" funds for August, so instead of our usual dinner or movie out this weekend, we decided to head over to the zoo for some outside (and free!) fun. I hadn't been there since 6th grade, and he couldn't remember if he'd ever been. So, after lunch, we were off.

If you haven't been to the National Zoo, it's incredible. They have species I'd never seenin person before, like the red panda, which was beautiful to look at, but the poor critter had a touch of neuroses and paced constantly. And, there were certainly some humorous moments, too. SCL wanted to see the gorillas, but the indoor exhibit smelled so bad that I could not inhale through my nose and decided to wait outside. A few minutes later, he came out with a big grin on his face. "Two orangutans are having sex!" Ok, I had to see this, and sure enough, they were and everyone in the building was watching. It was pretty funny at first, but I felt badly for the female who afterward found a sheet and covered her head. Poor thing, she was embarrassed!

It was fun being a kid with SCL. Afterward we headed to 7-Eleven and had a big Coca-Cola Slurpee which we drank (slurped?) while sitting on the sidewalk outside. All in all, a perfect afternoon together.

Total cost of date: Metro fare, and a buck plus change for the Slurpee.

1 comment: