Pages

Work is No Utopia

There are things about student life I miss. I miss the community, the built-in social network. I miss having very few of my hours each day scheduled and the autonomy to make my day look however I wanted. I miss going to the gym at 8:30 in the morning or at 2:00 in the afternoon or at 9:00 at night.

Really it's timing that poses the most challenges for an academic/non-academic couple. There are mornings when I would rather have a lazy breakfast with SCL, but instead I'm out the door by 7:45 to get to the train station. I don't get home until 6:15 in the evening. That is a solid 10.5 hour block of time when I'm not available to hang out with SCL or, you know, go to the grocery store or bank. I have to give SCL his props: he accommodates my schedule a lot of the time, doing the bulk of his work during the day. Occasionally he works at night when a big paper's due, but it's the exception. This isn't a self-sacrificial thing really; he's just like me--more productive in the daytime. This works well for us, and I hope it continues similarly when he begins the PhD.

I hope that my next job requires less commute, which would mean more a.m and p.m. hours. My even greater hope is that my next job allows for a lunch break so that SCL and I could occasionally meet for lunch. Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment