Pages

Teenage Dream

That's how I feel right now--like I've regressed about 12 years and have a teenage crush. And, it is fantastic! With Mr. Navy out of the picture (we've since talked as friends, and I am feeling less dumb), my attention has turned to Dr. Nutrition.

Call me foolish or a hopeless romantic, but I have a good feeling about this one. I'm finding that I don't have a whole lot of desire to go on many first dates right now. (The one I had scheduled with Mr. Sayid-lookalike cancelled at the last minute, and I am debating whether or not to reschedule. The real reason I wanted to go out with him was the aforementioned resemblance to my favorite Lost Iraqi survivor.) I guess I burned out pretty fast with the 4 dates/week.

For the last two nights, Dr. Nutrition and I have stayed up way past my bedtime talking on the phone. The thing is, I don't even like talking on the phone. I'd rather have a Harry Potter owl or something. Say what you want about how brilliant cell phones are, but I swear to God, it's impossible to get a clear connection and there were moments when I literally had to ask him to repeat something five times. I felt like a grandma and questioned whether or not I should have my hearing tested.

But, despite the constant "Huh? What?" on my end, it has been fantastic getting to know him more. I think it's a good sign that we can talk for 3 hours and not run out of things to talk about. Sure, we are just getting to know each other, but there have been some dates when I haven't had an hour's worth of shared interests to go on. But, with Dr. Nutrition the conversation just flows effortlessly and even makes me forget momentarily how much I fucking hate talking on the phone. We have a date tomorrow night (wine tasting, my favorite!) and I can't wait to see him in person.

This is all so exciting and incredibly terrifying at the same time. Part of me wants to say, "Hold on, lady. You need to take it slowly." But the other part of me says, "Quit over-thinking every little thing and just go for it!" He's giving me the green light. He even told me that he's shown my picture to his mom. I feel like this is not the run-of-the-mill, "I'd like to get into your pants"  line. Again, trying not to over-think things.

Last week in the middle of thinking about SCL, Mr. Navy, and Dr. Nutrition, I thought, "Where the hell is my damn therapist? Surely she's off of maternity leave by now!" We have an appointment today. Really looking forward to spilling my guts and filling her in on what's been going on since the end of May. She's in for an earful.

11 comments:

  1. You are so cute. And I can't wait to hear your therapist's take on all this.

    And... I don't know, if it was me I'd give Sayid-look-alike a chance. Just because he looks like Sayid ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I look forward to hearing how the next date goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! i love reading about your love life journey. good luck and keep writing! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are so happy! I'm with Krysten, I think you should give the faux Sayid a chance. Until Dr. Nutrition says he wants to be exclusive, I'm of the school that you should keep dating (but obviously don't tell him that). It's something you do for *you* ... and it helps ward off the needy girl crazies (they sneak up on us all, occasionally).

    Also, I was thinking ... because Mr. Navy was your end-of-summer-fling and it didn't work out ... maybe he was your rebound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of talking on the phone either. The last time I was dating someone new we used to IM all the time and I thought that was so much better than talking on the phone. You don't get to hear the other person's voice, but I always found it was a little easier to go for three hours without getting frustrated with a sore ear or my hand falling asleep.

    I'm glad you are enjoying this whole dating thing with Dr. Nutrition and I hope it keeps going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what to say except EEE! And yes. This all sounds awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haaate talking on the phone and I've always used it as an indicator of how much I actually like a boy. :)

    I'm glad this is going well and I'm interested in hearing about the date and your therapist. Should be interesting.

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last time I thought of 3 boys at the same time was.... well... never.

    GOOD STUFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea!! So exciting that everything's going so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Krsyten--I know, I just feel a little shallow. :-P

    @Sassy Marmalade--You're right; we're not explicit about what's going on between us. I'm working hard to let things just happen rather than force them along.

    @Shana--yes, I love IM too! If it didn't make me feel like such a middle schooler, I'd use it more.

    @Lor--Dr. Nutrition texted last night (before calling): "We sure talk on the phone a lot for two people who hate talking on the phone." I texted back, "I think that's what they call a 'good sign.'"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally hate talking on the phone too.

    Keep dating, even if you want to stop, because you don't want to give up your power until you have "the talk." And especially keep dating if there is a Sayid-look-alike around! :)

    ReplyDelete