Pages

Sunset at the Kennedy Center: Second Date with Dr. Nutrition

Last night was my second date with Dr. Nutrition. He sent me an e-mail last Friday (just under 24 hours after our first date) asking if I'd like to go to the Kennedy Center or Jazz in the Garden...or both. Two date options! I was impressed. But with my busy social calendar and my plans to go out of town for Labor Day, yesterday was the only night that worked for me.

There are so many awesome things to do in DC that are free--and I don't mean just museums. Every day the Kennedy Center has a free concert that's open to the public. Dr. Nutrition had been there a few times before, and apparently they bring in pretty big names. If you're in DC (or visiting), check it out!

The concert itself was pretty great. The only thing about it was it was difficult to talk during it, and kind of like seeing a movie with a date, there's a lot of sitting there next to each other not interacting. We exchanged a couple of funny observations, like how the lead singer was playing a guitar but we couldn't hear the sound and how the keyboardist would oddly interject a few lyrics at random times. The sitting next to each other but not talking proved to be not a good thing for this reason: I started to panic. Thoughts of "WTF am I doing?" and memories of SCL were swarming in my head--everything from, "I feel so uncomfortable being with a new guy" to "The last time I came to the Kennedy Center was with SCL" and "Oh god, I'm going to vomit." I don't know what came over me, but I was feeling anxious and was thinking of excuses to bolt.

But, I'm trying to remember that thoughts usually pass--just like emotions come and go, the things in our head come and go. Rather than believing every little thing I think, I try to acknowledge the thought and then drop it. By the end of the concert, I felt much calmer and more open to spending time with my date.

We ended up spending three hours on the rooftop terrace of the Center, which has a fantastic view of Georgetown. It was really quite beautiful, especially as the sun went down. Unlike the last date, this time I felt like we were in more of a dialog, and I felt more and more comfortable with him. I can't get over how self-aware and positive he is--it's such a change to talk with someone who knows what he wants and is excited about the journey. And it doesn't hurt that he's also really, really cute.

We talked about online dating--and how it's difficult on the one hand to say, "Love will happen when it happens" and being intentional about kind of looking for it. Ultimately it's about expectations--being open but not insistent that things must go a certain way. For someone like me, who tends to fall fast and hard, it's a good thing for me to be slowing down and not jumping to conclusions.

But, I think what really got me and made me swoon a little bit was when we were talking about how we choose whom to contact on dating sites. He said, "The pictures are really important to me. Most people talk about the importance of a person's smile. But I look at the eyes. I look for light, for exuberance. People can fake a smile, but the eyes reveal something deeper." *swoon*

We kissed not long after that. My first thought was, "This is nice, but different from kissing SCL. It feels sort of weird." Seeing as how I haven't kissed anyone else in two years, I guess that's probably not an abnormal thought. But despite the initial weirdness, there was a great energy between us.

At that point it was 10 PM and we both had to head home. It wasn't until I got on my Metro car that I realized we never ate dinner! I guess that's what good conversation can do to a person. I think it's safe to say a third day is on the horizon, and I'm really looking forward to it.

6 comments:

  1. Oooo! Sounds like a great 2nd date! Dr. Nutrition definitely sounds like a catch (hm...maybe I should give online dating a try??)!

    Also (as I've been following you on Twitter for a while too), you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself! I don't think anyone expects for your feelings about your ex to be gone already. You just got out of a relationship and everything from here on out is going to be new and different. Enjoy this new phase, but if you're really not feeling it (dating), then take some time for yourself. It's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like date #2 was a pretty great success and Dr. Nutrition sounds like a great guy.

    It's definitely normal to think that way when kissing someone knew. I remember having that same thought once upon a time. But gosh... every now and again I kind of miss the first kiss excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking this Dr. Nutrition already! It sounds like he's a great guy and you guys are connecting. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart, cute, and romantic? Hubba, hubba. Can't wait to hear about date #3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!! my girl is getting some!

    totally understand the panic and weirdness that comes from a new guy...but when it's the right guy, all the other memories really do fade to nearly nothing. i still think about my ex occasionally and it's like...i can't remember anything because all i know (and want to know) is this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it that he sounds like he has depth and seems to appreciate you. Even though it's new, you both seem to feel comfortable with eachother, an excellent sign.

    ReplyDelete