Pages

Keeps Getting Better

Yesterday marked date five with Dr. Nutrition, and it was by far the best date yet. With the late-night phone calls and flirtatious text messages, we were both more than ready to see each other in person. He'd set up this date a few weeks ago. On the third Wednesday of the month, the Bell Wine Shop in Dupont has a "Grand Tasting"--for $5, you can try 40 different wines. Granted it's nothing more than a sip of each one, but let me tell you forty sips add up. And once again, I found myself somewhat accidentally hammered. This has been happening to me quite a lot lately.

I had to smile when one of the other wine tasters referred to Dr. Nutrition as "my boyfriend." I didn't bother to correct them.

After some dinner to soak up the copious amounts of alcohol in our system, we had the awkward, "Where do we go now?" conversation. Since we were already on the red line, I said "Canada" made more sense than my place, and off we went. I got the sense that he was a little embarrassed about the lack of furniture in his room, and since last time he'd acquired a table and a dresser. Still no bed frame, but an improvement for sure.

Before things got too steamy, I wanted to talk with him about sex, as awkward as it felt. Here's my deal: as much as I hate to admit it, I am a stereotypical woman who can't have sex without feeling intensely bonded to the other person. Hell, even some hot, heavy-duty making out can make me start hearing wedding bells. No, I am not kidding. Yes, I am that emotional. But I know how I'm wired and I own it.

So, I said to him. "I really like you, and I don't want to risk messing things up by sleeping together too soon. It doesn't mean I don't want to; it's just that sex makes me feel really attached, and I don't think we're at that point yet." He said, "I completely agree." I  couldn't detect any insincerity in his voice--perhaps slight disappointment, but I'm fairly certain that he was being honest when he said he was on the same page. With that out of the way, I let my worries go and enjoyed myself. He declared the bed as a "worry-free" zone, so I really had no choice but to relax and enjoy being close to him.

At 1:30 he asked if I wanted him to drive me home. "Not really, " I said. He invited me to stay, and I spent the whole night with one of his arms under my head and the other wrapped around me. I can't say either of us slept very well, but I didn't care.

We woke up to sunshine and lawnmowers and mockingbirds, and continued to cuddle. I said, "Don't you need to get to work?" He said, "I think I'm going to work from home this morning. In fact, I think I'm already working right now." I laughed, "Oh yeah, how do you figure that?" He said, "I'm working on doing outreach to faith-based organizations." I cracked up and kissed him again, "Oh yeah, I think we've got a great partnership in the works."

Happy day.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you for talking to him about it! I know a lot of people wouldn't bring it up b/c they would be scared or uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this guy sounds perfect! seriously you are so lucky girl :) i'm happy things are working out for you

    xx,dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!

    Seriously I am so dang happy for you. Now if he could just get himself a bed frame you'd be all set! He definitely needs a woman in his life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look. At. You!! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that you both are communicating this openly upfront is fantastic--and a good omen for the future.

    He sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jammer--I think if I hadn't brought it up, I would've been worrying the whole time and not able to enjoy myself.

    @FL Girl--I sure hope you're right. I know it's easy in the beginning, but I feel like we're at least starting off right.

    @Everyone else--thanks for your support! I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes and trying not to obsess about it too much. Not my strong suit, but I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww... I am so happy for you girl!!

    ReplyDelete