Pages

The Waiting Game

I have nothing new to report regarding  Dr. Nutrition other than that I am a crazy person. Leave it to me to have a good time with a guy and then spend countless hours trying to figure out a reason why he can't possibly like me as much as he let on.

The thing is, I really like him. A few weeks ago I wasn't sure, but the combination of time spent talking on the phone plus a really great date this week, I find myself falling pretty hard. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself and enjoy where we are, but my natural inclination is to cling.

Tara Brach talks a lot about clinging--how when we feel pleasure, we immediately want more of it and finagle ways to hang on to what is inevitably fleeting. This could be anything--the taste of ice cream (and so we get seconds); the relaxation of a vacation (and so we plot where we'll go next); or the beginnings of a new relationship (and so we want to push it along into the next stage).

And so that's what I've been doing. I've been anticipating what will happen next, and it hasn't helped that Dr. Nutrition and I really haven't had much contact since Thursday morning. So of course I assume the worst: he's changed his mind; he doesn't really like me; he's not thinking of me. And so on and so on. My head is currently a pretty miserable place to reside.

Dr. Nutrition is a busy guy and before this week there had been plenty of days when we didn't talk at all. It's just that now I am thinking about him more, so the waiting feels longer and more torturous. I'm just focusing on chilling out and not jumping to the absolute worst conclusion.

Thank you for indulging my neurosis.

13 comments:

  1. I think I would be the same way. I overanalyze every situation, even the way someone might say something to me. Analyzing a relationship? Yeah. I know I'll be there someday. ;) And I also imagine it's hard not to want to jump into the next step when things seem to be going so good!

    I'm sure Dr. Nutrition is still interested (why wouldn't he be?), but sometimes life takes over, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy sounds awesome! So calm yourself! He is totally interested! Play it cool lady =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember, it's most likely that he's just busy with work. I'm pretty sure after all those phone convos and great dates that he could that easily be over you.

    You know I'm here if you need a sanity check! Although my sanity has often been questioned so... talk to me at your own risk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you're right and he's just busy. Plus guys are single-minded...one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your feelings are normal - we've all been there. But why is it that it's more normal for girls and not for guys? What is it that makes us want to "cling?" And what is it about guys that doesn't?

    Anyway, I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about! Can't wait for the next update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. inhale....exhale...be easy...its going to be fine..i feel it in my bones...

    ReplyDelete
  7. inhale...exhale...you would be alright babes

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw girl you have nothing to worry about. he bought DANCING LESSONS... he's here to commit haha

    xx, dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, friends! I just tend to see the worst in a situation like this. I really wish he'd just pick up the phone and put me out of my misery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh girlie girl... why don't you spend your days working on you instead? You're already making excuses for him in your last paragraph. We're all busy, but none of us are too busy to call our crush. NONE OF US. Stop waiting for someone to call you. You want to talk to him - call him. Follow your heart till the end. If he doesn't want it then you just saved yourself a heck of a lot of trouble. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. We all have them. I sometimes think the best remedy for neurotic energy is getting out and living life. Nurture friendships. Nurture yourself. Get out and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, I really really want you to be happy, so please don't take anything I say otherwise. But I agree with Cindy. We all know that people make time, no matter how busy they get. And I know as women, we have a tendency to nurture one another by making excuses. But - it's not cool that he hasn't contacted you at all. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're just a girl. we alllllll do it.

    ReplyDelete